It’s the smallest thing on your landing page, yet it has the most power to either bounce, hold or convert any visitor on a website. It’s used to guide the user to take a particular action. These actions may include- adding a product to a shopping cart in e-commerce, downloading documents for reading, requesting information for a query, or accepting an offer for free. These buttons are of different form or formats depending on the website, serving different purposes.
CTA buttons can serve its purpose successfully if the following best practices are included:
- The text on a CTA button should be rationally clear and specific inducing the visitor to click it. Use of verb and strong action words contextual to the offer compels the user to go for it. Personalising the text with value, reason, urgency can also be experimented along with negative CTA. Use of first and second person also makes an action compelling. Here are a list of words that does the trick- ends, now, find, why, try, want, confused, sick, build, join, etc.
- Besides the quality of the text, the quantity and appearance also matters. The sentences shouldn’t be too lengthy, fonts too big or small and options too many. However, bonus text or extra information has to be provided as necessary while keeping the focus on the CTA button. This should be done only to enhance the user experience.
- The colour of the buttons also matter when it comes to working with the minds of your reader. Scientifically every colour has a wavelength and that has the power to impact the thinking process of the user. Depending on the website design one has to decide on using contrasting or subtle colours. The colour of the background also matters in the choice of colours for CTA buttons. Different emotions are inspired by different colours and this has to be established with trial and error.
- The layout or positioning of the CTA button. Strategically placing the CTA in the flow of things and text is an intelligent call. The bottom right corner is universally used due to the reading habit of left to right and top to bottom. The placement of CTA should be good enough to be both noticed and action oriented. In case there are more CTA buttons the important ones are to be highlighted and the types differentiated accordingly.
- The shape and design of the CTA can also play with the thoughts and action of the user. Use of arrows, fancy graphics, and icons should be used relatively to avoid confusion and state clearly the actions to be taken. Round, oval, square or rectangle the shape should appropriately fit into the scheme of things.
- Use white space intelligently. It’s good to have a healthy amount of white space around the CTA button. Widening white spaces help grab user attention. Also called negative spaces, it has to be proportional in accordance with the CTA button.
There are many other small details which could trigger an action for CTA button. However, the above mentioned six points encompasses the major ones. If followed diligently these are sure to help boost the conversion rates. Happy clicking!!